Lodging is a major part of the success of Cloudcroft and thanks to four establishments that have been here for almost a century the success doesn’t appear to be stopping anytime soon.
Built in 1897 by Major William H. Long of El Paso, Eagle Eyrie has maintained its charm and picturesque beauty despite some remodeling and added conveniences. The two-story manor, with intricate rustic detailing outside and rough bark-covered timber interior, is located at 509 Grand Ave.
The earliest report of activity at the facility was reported in a July 16th, 1904, article in the Cloudcroft Silver Lining. The report stated Major Long and his daughter, Mrs. F. Grayson were once again occupying the house.
Thieves vandalized the manor in 1903, stealing $500 worth of property, including expensive curtains, pictures and canned foods.
The first thing everyone sees is the railing on the second floor veranda with the words “EAGLE” and “EYRIE” built into it using cut bark-covered branches. The massive stone fireplace, wide sweeping staircase and beamed ceiling reflects the style of a long-gone era.
Two large balconies, which are shaded by spruce trees, invite visitors to sit for a while and enjoy the beautiful setting. Sleeping accommodations include one king room, two queen rooms, one dormer room with a queen sleeper sofa, a bunk bedroom and two queen sofa sleepers in the large family room — ultimately housing 16 people.
In a 1983 letter to relatives, Herbert Given of El Paso reminisced about a stay in the summer of 1921. He described the house, including being able to see daylight in certain places between the logs that made-up the sides of the manor. He also noted the lighting was by kerosene lamps and the kitchen had a wood burning stove.
Over the years the manor has had numerous owners, but current owners O.D. and Julianne Hadfield, who have owned the manor since the late 1990s, are actually attempting to restore the manor back to its original grandeur.
“Every year we do quite a bit of work. We’re taking out any restoration that isn’t indicative of the early 1900s,” Julianne said. “We’ve removed the three layers of carpet and two layers of linoleum from the kitchen and have redone the floor. We’ve also redone the back porch, which is ideal for people with small children because it’s completely enclosed.”
Hadfield said they want to keep the manor as family oriented as possible since that is who visits the manor the most.
For more information on Eagle Eyrie, call 505-522-1787 or visit their Web site at www.cloudcroft.com/eagle.
One of the oldest and most prominent buildings in Cloudcroft is the Pavilion, located on the southwest corner of Chipmunk Avenue and Curlew Place, was first mention in an 1899 article in the Sacramento Chief. The Alamogordo Daily News reported the formal opening of the new summer resort in a June 22nd, 1899 story.
In the early days guests from El Paso would ride the train as far as Toboggan Canyon and then ride horse-drawn carriages the rest of the way to Cloudcroft.
Originally described as “the peerless summer resort in the summit of the Rockies,” the Pavilion was the scene for a wide-range of social activities including dances, box suppers, concerts and community meetings. In 1912, a four-lane bowling alley was added and in 1915 moving pictures began being shown. The bowling alley is thought to be the first in the state and tickets to the movies sold for 10 cents.
Also in 1915, the roof over the cafe area collapsed from the weight of a heavy snow. Disaster struck again in 1919, when a fire raced through the uninsured building. However, within a month plans were hatched to rebuild the Pavilion and in July 1920 the establishment was “roaring” again.
Unfortunately, the jovial atmosphere wouldn’t last long and in August 1922, at precisely the same time as the 1919 fire, residents and visitors awoke to find the building once again in flames.
By 1923, a new Pavilion had risen from the ashes of the old building and was reported to have been open for the summer trade. The new facility was modeled after the previous building with a cafe and sleeping quarters.
Through the years, the Pavilion has seen its share of owners and names. Some of the more familiar ones include: The Cloudcroft Cafe and Lunch Counter, the Pavilion Inn Motel, Camp Canary and the Mason Jar Restaurant.
In 1988, after major renovations, the establishment received its latest name, simply “The Pavilion.” The Pavilion currently serves as the bed and breakfast portion of The Lodge, with 10 rooms, each decorated in simple, rustic decor with knotty-wood pine walls, down-filled comforters and stone-laid fire places in some rooms. In addition to the rooms, there is a large meeting facility, which hosts many Cloudcroft events, and a common area for visitors to relax.
“We try our best to preserve the historical aspects,” according to Lisa Thomassie, general manager of The Lodge.
(c) 2003 The Mountain Monthly